Report Shows Solid Environmental Achievements and a Greater Focus on Supply Chain SustainabilityWed, 29 Jun 2016 23:25:25 CDT
Following the first installment of Smithfield Foods’ 2015 Sustainability & Financial Report, the report’s Environment section is now available. This section highlights environmental goals and practices that improve Smithfield’s performance while promoting supply chain efficiency.
This year’s report shows solid improvements in reducing our natural resource demand and our leadership in advancing sustainable farming practices.
These highlights include:
- Surpassing our normalized greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction target and nearly meeting our energy use reduction target four years ahead of our 2020 deadline.
- Reduced our normalized water use by 2.6 percent due in part to several new water management projects implemented at facilities and farms.
- Achieving zero-waste-to-landfill status at two additional facilities, bringing the total to six.
- Reducing our normalized solid waste generation, despite an increase in production in 2015.
- Expanding our collaboration with the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) to establish fertilizer optimization and conservation practices on grain farms supplying feed for our animals.
- Teaming with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to launch the agency’s Nutrient Recycling Challenge, a competition to develop affordable technologies that recycle nutrients from livestock manure.
WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI
Top Agricultural News