Noble to Host Upcoming Seminar on How to Start Growing Pecans, Addresses Challenges of Nut ProductionTue, 13 Aug 2019 11:38:04 CDT
Noble Research Institute will host a So You Want to Grow Pecans seminar from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Sept. 3 at the Noble Research Institute Kruse Auditorium.
Fueled by an ever-increasing demand for pecans, prices received by growers for improved varieties and native pecans have increased over the past few years and continue to remain strong.
Challenging factors for growing pecans include tree size, nutrient and water requirements, and the need for specialized equipment.
Participants will learn how to:
- Determine proper site selection for trees.
- Select the right pecan variety.
- Layout an orchard and tree establishment.
- Manage soil and plant nutrition.
- Manage irrigation systems.
- Manage crop load on the trees.
- Select appropriate equipment.
- Prune and train pecan trees for growth.
- Manage insect, disease and weed control.
- Harvest pecans and understand post-harvest options.
By the end of the seminar, participants know the history of pecan production and will have a basic understanding of the various practices used in pecan production. Individuals who are interested in pecan production as a means to supplement income are encouraged to attend.
There is no fee for this event, but participants must register online by Aug. 27 to attend. For more information and to register, please visit www.noble.org/events.
Source - Noble Research Institute
WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI
Top Agricultural News