Ashton Keeter of Walters FFA Wins Commercial Gilt Supreme Championship at 2015 OYESun, 15 Mar 2015 07:14:22 CDT
The 2015 Commercial Gilt contest saw over 1,160 breeding age gilts brought through the show ring at the 2015 Oklahoma Youth Expo- and about twelve hours after judges Shane Brinning and Tim Marek began- they wrapped up by naming the Division Three Commercial Gilt as the Supreme Champion of the overall Commercial Show. That gilt was shown by Ashton Keeter of the Walters FFA Chapter. AShton's gilt will be leading off the Breeding Gilt Sale on Wednesday evening at 7:00 PM. The Reserve Supreme Champion in the Commercial Division was shown by Hunter Green from Wellston 4-H, who had the top gilt in Commercial Gilt Division Two. Hunter's gilt will sell second on Wednesday evening.
For their efforts, Ashton and Hunter and the next three selected Commercial Gilt owners received Scholarships for their placings. The top five are pictured here and include:
Ashton Keeter, Stroud FFA $2,000 Scholarship
Hunter Green, Wellston 4-H, $1,500 Scholarship
Maddox Coulson, Wellston FFA $750 Scholarship
Camryn Harwood, Kellyville 4-H $500 Scholarship
Harley Jo Hoskins, Creek County 4-H $250 Scholarship
Scholarships were provided by Devon Energy and ADM- Moorman's ShowTec Feeds.
The sale order that combines the top animals from the Purebred and Commercial Gilt Shows was announced after the Commercial Show. The Supreme and Reserve Supreme Commerical Gilts sell one and two, while the third through tenth best commercial gilts will sell after the Breed Champions in the 10th through the 17th positions.
The sale order of the top 25 gilts are as follows:
1. Ashton Keeter, Wlaters FFA Supreme Champion Commercial
2. Hunter Green, Wellston 4-H, Reserve Supreme Commercial
3. Taylor Wolff, Stroud FFA, Supreme Champion Purebred (Berkshire)
4. Miranda Meadows, Tecomseh FFA, Reserve Supreme Purebred (Duroc)
5. Gavin Sibold, Cement 4-H, Champion Hampshire
6. Tony Hahn, Leedey FFA, Champion Poland
7. Braeden Coon, Mountain View-Gotebo FFA, Champion York
8. Tyler Waitman, Dibble FFA, Champion Spot
9. Katelyn Laminack, COtton County 4-H, Champion Chester
10. Maddox Coulson, Wellston FFA, 3rd Place Commercial
11. Camryn Harwood, Kellyville 4-H, 4th Place Commercial
12. Harley Jo Hoskins, Creek County 4-H, 5th Place Commercial
13. Tanner Lyday, Colbert FFA, 6th Place Commercial
14. Brock Allen, Rock Creek FFA, 7th Place Commercial
15. Mikayla Phillips, Ringling FFA, 8th Place Commercial
16. Daisy Dale, Fort Gibson FFA, 9th Place Commercial
17. Kolton baber, Big Pasture FFA, 10th Place Commercial
18. Kloie Nation, Sapulpa FFA, Reserve Berkshire
19. Madison Todd, Porter FFA, Reserve Duroc
20. Delynna Beard, El Reno FFA, Reserve Hampshire
21. Matti Kingfisher, Salina FFA, Rserve Poland
22. Catherine Stangl, Okarche 4-H, Reserve Yorkshire
23. Kate Buckmaster, Porter 4-H, Reserve Spot
24. Hudson Long, Dibble 4-H, Reserve Chester
25. Isaac Bryant, Talihina 4-H, 11th Place Commercial
A total of 110 Breeding Gilts will sell on Wednesday evening.
Overall livestock entry numbers are up, across all species in 2015 versus 2014 at the 100th Anniversary edition of the Oklahoma Youth Expo. Based on actual purebred and commercial gilt numbers of animals that showed up versus those that were entered, the judges that will be looking at the market hog show this coming week could well see approximately 3,000 hogs in 2015. There were 1,190 purebred gilts judged this past Friday- and 1,160 commercial crossbred gilts judged on Saturday- and the quality of those animals was tremendous.
Our Coverage of the 2015 Oklahoma Youth Expo is a service of ITC Great Plains, Your Energy Superhighway- learn more about this high voltage, transmission only utility and their commitment to the communities they serve which is the cornerstone of their business- click here for their website. We also salute the title sponsor of the 2015 OYE, McDonalds- click here for the Oklahoma website for the Golden Arches.
Reports will be heard daily on great radio stations that cover Oklahoma and that are a part of the Radio Oklahoma Ag Network- on the internet- our reports of the 2015 OYE can be found on the Blue Green Gazette page- available here. We will be adding pictures daily to our official 2015 OYE Album of Photos on FLICKR, found here.
WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI