Oklahoma Livestock Relief Coalition Formed to Facilitate Humane Treatment of Abused AnimalsSun, 22 Jan 2012 21:01:58 CST
Fifteen organizations that are interested in the well being of farm animals are forming the Oklahoma Livestock Relief Coalition- and will be front and center at the State Capitol on Monday morning as they receive the blessing of Governor Mary Fallin, State Secretary of Agriculture Jim Reese and others.
The OLRC mission is to provide emergency financial resources to local law enforcement agencies that have seized abused and neglected large animals and assure humane care of the animals. The OLRC structure allows concerned citizens to donate funds intended to assist Oklahoma law enforcement agencies with large animal neglect, abuse, and abandonment cases. Contributions will be used to provide feed and reasonable emergency care for seized animals during the initial 30-day phase of these cases.
We talked at the end of this past week with Scott Dewald of the one of the Charter members of the Coalition, the Oklahoma Cattlemen's Association, and he gives us some background about how these groups identified a problem- and have come together to solve it by bringing private sector resources to the table to assist local law enforcement entities in caring for horses, cattle, sheep, swine and other animals that might be seized after suffering mistreatment. Click on the LISTEN BAR below to hear Scott's explanation about how this coalition has quickly come together for this cause.
Charter Members of the Oklahoma Livestock Relief Coalition are:
· Oklahoma Cattlemen's Association
· Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food, and Forestry
· Oklahoma Farm Bureau
· Oklahoma Humane Federation
· Oklahoma Livestock Marketing Association
· Oklahoma State University, Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
· Oklahoma State University, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences
· Oklahoma Veterinary Technician Association
· Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Association
· Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Foundation
· Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners
· American Farmers and Ranchers
· Murray State College, Veterinary Technology
· Poultry Federation of Oklahoma
· Oklahoma Pork Council
WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI
Top Agricultural News