Oklahoma Farm Report masthead graphic with wheat on the left and cattle on the right.
Howdy Neighbors!
Ron Hays, Director of Farm and Ranch Programming, Radio Oklahoma Ag Network  |  2401 Exchange Ave, Suite F, Oklahoma City, Ok 73108  |  (405) 601-9211


Agricultural News

AFBF President Bob Stallman Offers State of Agriculture Speech to American Farm Bureau Convention in Honolulu

Sun, 08 Jan 2012 15:05:58 CST

AFBF President Bob Stallman Offers State of Agriculture Speech to American Farm Bureau Convention in Honolulu America's farmers and ranchers are more productive than ever and are providing a solid economic foundation for our nation, according to Bob Stallman, president of the American Farm Bureau Federation"We are the 1 percent that is producing food and fiber for the other 99 percent," Stallman declared in his annual address to the approximately 7,000 Farm Bureau members gathered for AFBF's 93rd Annual Meeting. CLICK on the Listen Bar at the bottom of this story to listen to the entire 27 minute address by the AFBF President who started his Farm Bureau career in Texas.

Farm and ranch families are growing more food with fewer resources than ever before, Stallman said.

"Over a 20-year period, corn yields are up 41 percent. Per bushel soil loss has fallen by 70 percent. Water use per bushel of corn is down 27 percent. All major crops show similar trends," said Stallman.

He also extolled the record-breaking growth in U.S. agricultural exports over the past year.

"We sold $42.5 billion more in agricultural products than we imported in 2011," he added. "That number will stay strong into this year and, I am convinced, into the foreseeable future."

American agriculture's successes have come in the face of challenges, Stallman said, including droughts, and doubts about the future of agricultural policy, floods, and a deluge of government regulatory actions, storms, and an often tempestuous public conversation about the farmer's role in feeding our nation.

Stallman discussed Farm Bureau's Systemic Risk Reduction Program proposal, which he said would help protect farmers from catastrophic losses while recognizing today's budget realities. He called on Farm Bureau delegates, who will debate farm policy and other issues Jan. 10, to put the organization on a solid footing.

Stallman said the cost of federal regulations falls the hardest on small businesses such as family-owned farms and ranches. He commended Farm Bureau members for their grassroots engagement to push back against government overreach.

Just as important as these policy concerns is the conversation with consumers, he said.

"We must engage directly with the consumer as an industry in ways we haven't before," Stallman said. "And while we must fully engage in this ongoing national dialogue about food and the devoted care we take when we grow it, we must also never ever forget to listen."

He said the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance, a group of 77 agricultural organizations and companies including Farm Bureau, is doing just that by listening to and answering Americans' questions, as well as giving farmers and ranchers an opportunity to raise their voices.

"From the environment to the economy, trade and jobs, we have a great story to tell," Stallman proclaimed.


American Farm Bureau President Bob Stallman Addresses the 93rd Annual Convention of the Farm Bureau being held in Hawaii
right-click to download mp3


WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI


Top Agricultural News

  • Emergency Drought Commission Approves Three Million Dollar Cost Share Program to Push Back Against Drought  Sat, 01 Oct 2022 15:07:05 CDT
  • Oklahoma Grain Elevator Cash Bids as of 2 p.m. September 30, 2022  Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:43:53 CDT
  • Chairman David Scott Releases Statement Congratulating Vincent Garfield Logan on His Confirmation to Farm Credit Administration Board  Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:07:33 CDT
  • Op-Ed from Kenneth Corn: USDA- We Serve Rural Communities Too  Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:57:02 CDT
  • Hard Red Winter Wheat production lowest since 1957  Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:44:28 CDT
  • Latest Southern Plains Perspective Blog: Hot, dry, dust and smoke all outside the back door.  Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:47:21 CDT
  • Wheat Production Estimates for Oklahoma Fall Six Percent from August to September   Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:16:36 CDT
  • Younger Cows are Starting to Come to Town, Says Bob Rodenberger  Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:46:55 CDT

  • More Headlines...


    Ron salutes our daily email sponsors!

    Oklahoma Beef council Oklahoma Ag Credit Oklahoma Farm Bureau National Livestock Credit Ag Mediation Program P&K Equipment Oklahoma City Farm Show Union Mutual Stillwater Milling Oklahoma Cattlemen's Association KIS FUTURES, INC.


    Search OklahomaFarmReport.com

    © 2008-2022 Oklahoma Farm Report
    Email Ron   |   Newsletter Signup   |    Current Spots   |    Program Links

    WebReady powered by WireReady® Inc.