Oklahoma Farm Report masthead graphic with wheat on the left and cattle on the right.
Howdy Neighbors!
Ron Hays, Director of Farm and Ranch Programming, Radio Oklahoma Ag Network  |  2401 Exchange Ave, Suite F, Oklahoma City, Ok 73108  |  (405) 601-9211


Agricultural News

Pasture, Corn and Soybean Ratings Continue Their Drought Related Decline

Mon, 06 Aug 2012 17:02:41 CDT

Pasture, Corn and Soybean Ratings Continue Their Drought Related Decline Half of the nation's corn crop was rated poor to very poor as of Sunday, Aug. 5, according to USDA's latest weekly Crop Progress report. That compares to 48% last week. The percentage of the soybeans rated poor to very poor increased to 39% from 37% last week.

Weekend rains were heavier than expected in some areas, which tipped the futures markets to the bearish side Monday. But that wasn't enough moisture to matter for much of the already-gone corn crop. Some soybean fields will benefit, and if the rains continue, we may see some improvement in crop ratings in coming weeks. John Sanow with DTN believes "it's not a matter of whether USDA will lower their current 146 bushels per acre estimate but rather by how much. This report should be considered bullish as a large drop in the harvested acreage number will have to be accounted for as well." This past Friday, Informa Economics lowered their guesstimate on the size of the 2012 corn crop to 120.7 bushels per acre, expecting a 10.388 billion bushel corn crop versus their July 2012 expectations of 12.49 billion bushels.

As for soybeans, the big question is how much did the recent rains really help the crop. DTN's Sanow says "How much this past weekend's rain will help is also put into question given 71% of the crop was reportedly setting pods as compared to the five-year average of 53% while 93% of the nation's crop was blooming."

A key southern crop also saw hot dry conditions take its toll. The 2012 cotton crop ratings rose five percentage points in the poor to very poor rankings- from 22% a week ago to 27% this week. The Oklahoma cotton crop ratings got worse- falling to 45% poor to very poor- Missouri (most of their cotton grown in the Bootheel) now at 43% poor to very poor and the huge Texas crop is falling off in condition ratings- now at 41% poor to very poor.

Pasture and range ratings also slid another two percentage points- now at 59% poor to very poor versus 57% a week ago. Missouri remains in the bullseye of the drought conditions, with their pasture ratings 99% poor to very poor and the other 1% in fair condition. That's up from 98% a week ago. Illinois stands pat this week versus last at 95% poor to very poor while Kansas is now at 89% poor to very poor compared to 88% a week ago. The excessive heat and absence of rain til the weekend saw pasture and range ratings in Oklahoma continue to fall rapidly- this week another 12 points worse than last Monday- now at 76% poor to very poor versus 64% one week ago. (The picture above is a very dry pasture in western Oklahoma that is mostly cheatgrass- courtesy of Gary McManus of the Oklahoma Climatological Survey.)

Click here for the complete US Crop Progress report as released on Monday afternoon, August 6. 2012.



WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI


Top Agricultural News

  • Monday Preopening Market Update with Dave Lanning  Mon, 22 Apr 2019 08:57:46 CDT
  • The Quapaw Nation is hosting a FREE Simple Steps to Healthy Soils Workshop in Miami, Oklahoma  Mon, 22 Apr 2019 05:59:49 CDT
  • Oklahoma State FSA Director Scott Biggs Contends on Farms and Ranches, Every Day Is Earth Day   Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:35:34 CDT
  • Ag Banks Make Adjustments as Lending Remains Elevated, According to the Federal Reserve Bank  Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:23:54 CDT
  • U.S. Grains Council Supports World Trade Organization Report Finding China Misused Corn TRQ  Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:15:57 CDT
  • Check Out Your 2019 Southeast Area Star in Agribusiness, Colten Spears of the Atoka FFA Chapter  Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:31:19 CDT
  • Kim Anderson Says Price Forecasts Not Great for Commodities Even Though the Weather Forecast Is  Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:08:19 CDT
  • OKFB's Ron Justice Monitors Progress of Concerning Water Bills as Important Deadline Approaches  Fri, 19 Apr 2019 12:49:53 CDT

  • More Headlines...


    Ron salutes our daily email sponsors!

    Herbs Herb Oklahoma Ag Credit Oklahoma Farm Bureau National Livestock Credit P&K Equipment AFR Insurance Oklahoma City Farm Show Stillwater Milling KIS FUTURES, INC. Oklahoma Cattlemen's Association

    Search OklahomaFarmReport.com

    © 2008-2019 Oklahoma Farm Report
    Email Ron   |   Newsletter Signup   |    Current Spots   |    Program Links

    WebReady powered by WireReady® Inc.